The Digital Collections Services (DCS) department of IU Libraries fosters partnerships that provide opportunities for innovation, which extend the Libraries’ technical infrastructure, services, and digital content. We connect multiple units and people across the Indiana University (IU) Libraries and IU Bloomington, as well as other IU campuses, by providing consultation and services for the creation and dissemination of digital special collections and digital research projects.
DCS is responsible for three main areas that are integral to the development and growth of the IU Libraries’ digital special collections and technical infrastructure:
1) Digitizing special collections held by or affiliated with the IU Libraries
2) Creating and maintaining digital library services that provide workflows to curate, preserve and make content accessible online for teaching and research
3) Advancing knowledge and research in digital scholarship
DCS seeks a Quality Control and Translation Specialist to contribute to the Archivo Mesoamericano project. The Archivo Mesoamericano is a digital archive of annotated historical and ethnographic video materials created in collaboration with the Center for Research and Advanced Studies in Social Anthropology (CIESAS) in Mexico, the Institute of History of Nicaragua and Central America (IHNCA) in Nicaragua, and the Museum of the Word and the Image (MUPI) in El Salvador. Collectively, the Archivo contains footage dating from 1974 to 2007, and addresses such topics as human rights, political violence, youth movements, the Sandinista government, guerrilla media, revolutionary literature, armed conflict and international relations, among other subjects. It also places an emphasis on the ethno-linguistic and ethno-historical legacy of indigenous peoples in the region, and contains materials that feature endangered indigenous languages.
This position requires the selected individual to edit and inspect the quality of captions for close to 200 Spanish language videos. Some direct audio to text transcription may be necessary as well, depending on condition of the captions and the need to supplement audio dialogue. The candidate will also be expected to translate and produce English language transcripts for a selection of videos.
1) Fluency in Spanish (reading, writing, and speaking)
2) Attention to detail
3) Strong oral and written communication skills
4) Reliability, punctuality, and ability to work independently
1) Experience with transcription workflows
2) Experience working within the Kaltura environment
Please submit a cover letter and CV to Mary Borgo Ton at email@example.com. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.