How to Apply
- Research proposal (3 pages maximum)
- Budget (1 page maximum)
- Two letters of recommendation
Deadline for submission: Friday, February 22, 2019, 5:00 p.m. EST.
- Apply online. (If you will be using human subjects during your research please consult with the Human Subjects Office as to whether such clearance will be required for your project.) If so, the application requires, a description of how clearance will be obtained. (CLACS strongly encourages students to begin exploring these issues right away, as this process can take several months.) For projects requiring Human Subjects clearance, funds will not be disbursed until final, official approval of the study has been obtained.
- Research proposal of no more than 3 pages double-spaced, with the following components:
- Description of your research which includes the theoretical framework and/or contribution to relevant literatures in your field(s).
- Outline travel plans including specific dates, places, and phases and methods of data collection or other research-related activity (meetings with local academics, etc.)
- Demonstrate project feasibility (i.e, reference to language skills, prior experience, support from advisors, etc.)
- Address importance of research project for your academic and/or professional plans in relation to Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
Proposed budget itemized as follows:
- Travel expenses
- International airfare
- In-country air and ground transportation (bus, train, taxi, etc.)
- Car rental (if applicable)
- Health insurance, visas, etc.
- Research supplies (e.g. photocopies, books - please specify)
Note:You will be required submit a budget detailing a bread down of all your expenses upon return from the field. The Tinker Field Research Grant may not cover all of your expenses.
Two letters of recommendation
- One from applicant’s principal academic advisor. (Please have recommender send letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org).